Monday 14 March 2011

Spring / Summer 2011 Trends and Socrates (Part 2)

Trend 2: Prints.
Animal prints, ethnic prints and bold botanical prints - seen on the catwalk shows of designers such as Vivienne Westwood, Blumarine, Stella McCartney, Kenzo, Matthew Williamson, Louis Vuitton and Prada.

Chistopher Kane


Prada


Holly Fulton


Louis Vuitton


Stella McCartney


Blumarine




I find prints (especially animal prints) a little tricky to get right. Get it wrong, and one could end up looking like this:


Eastenders - Kat and Alfie Moon

When ideally, one would rather prefer to look a little more like this:


I do like animal prints - done properly can be really stylish and very grown up. I'm also a fan of geometric / ethnic prints - they evoke a whole of range of delicious emotions in me. This is largely due to the fact I grew up surrounded by them. I only have to look at a photograph of wax print cotton (we call it Ankara in Nigeria), and I'll immediately have lovely memories of being about 6 and burying my face in my mum's ankara blouse. I remember the feel, the smell and even the taste of the fabric. (I used to chew on the corners of her blouses. I was weird like that). 

I'm drawn to this trend because I find prints familiar, comforting and visually stimulating. The only problem I have with prints is I tend to want to count everything. This season, I fear that I might be in danger of being mistaken for a complete weirdo, because I might have to stop and stare at people in the streets frequently - trying to figure out pattern repeats and working how many squares or triangles or spots or stripes are on their clothes...

My take on this trend looks a little like this:


So the boys don't feel left out:


I need to go find something to count.
Later...